4.20.2009

On the Other Side of the Finish Line


I did it! Despite the frigid 41 degree temperature and the patchy light freezing drizzle, I ran my first 5K. As we lined up at the starting line I realized I hadn't felt that pre-race nervous feeling since high school. The race ended up being shorter than I thought it would be and yet longer at the same time. I don't think I've ever ran such a distance in my life at that speed so you can imagine the sense of accomplishment that I felt as I crossed the finish line. "I actually ran that far?" I thought. I almost couldn't believe it.


Though the time isn't so important, I will admit it anyway. I ran my first 5K in 33:40. (I have to brag that Eric pulled in at 23:30.) When I first attempted this feat a few weeks ago, I clocked in at about 45 minutes. So I was pleasantly surprised when I rounded the final corner and saw the time clock with only a 33 minute number. It was at that point that my inner sprinter kicked in and I'm sure you won't be surprised to know that I smoked a few runners in the last 1oo meters. (Sorry pink velour track suit lady - I couldn't help it!)


So thank you for all the cheers and support. And I must ask - now that I've managed to make it across the finish line, how about you?


6 comments:

TheKillerJ said...

Good job! ...and good job to Eric too. You set the bar for Katchie and I when we run in a couple weeks.

M {3 said...

I am so impressed! You have really inspired me to accomplish this from my bucket list:)

Brent and Mary Rose said...

I am so proud of you! I will start training so we can do a marathon now :) Haha jk! I will need to tackle a 5k first... so it might be a while haha

Wonder Woman said...

Congratulations! This is on my to do list, but my inner band nerd always takes over. I'm week 3 into a 9 week program, and maybe one day I'll have victory pictures. I'd be so happy with 45 minutes let alone 33! Good job!

mamasteph said...

You go girl! You are awesome! I am so proud of you and Eric! Way to cut so much time off and to finish despite the obviously yucky weather! Ummmm....I won't be doing this anytime soon, but I'm a great cheerleader! ;)

Biggie T said...

Way to go - 5k is a like a marathon for sprinters like you and me. That is a great time for your first race - Kudos!