3.31.2008

The Wild World of....Weather


This time of year is a curious and unpredictable one for weather in the life of Minnesotans. Your moods are inextricably tied to the volatile changes in climate and precipitation. You know to give people extra space on a day filled with snowy torrents, and that it's better to ask for favors on one of the rare sunny, warm ones.

I listen with interest every morning as I get ready for work, to hear what the morning news host will say on MPR. They seem to take this subject personally and often sigh audibly if the weather is bad or make a corny, happy joke if the weather is good. They also often throw around a phrase that's become one of my favorites - not for it's literal manifestations - but for the pleasing way it rolls off the tongue. "Patchy light freezing drizzle." It's a common condition that seems to be announced by the radio host several times a week and I love the sound of it so much, I even made up a jingle for it.

Yesterday was warm (50 degrees!) and the sun even peaked out of the clouds for a moment. Eric and I were giddy with excitement and everyone we passed on our afternoon walk greeted us with enthusiasm, which some will know is a rare thing in Minnesota.

Today, the last day of March, is a wet, snowy monster of a day. It makes you remember why you keep at least 2 seasons of wardrobe in your closet at all times. And during the radio forecast I heard a new weather phrase being thrown about: "Thunder Snow."

I think I'll have to write a new jingle.

4 comments:

Trey said...

It is very unpredictable huh sis! Just wanted to mention what a great writer you are btw.

M {3 said...

Well, we are snowed in practically with somewhere between like 6-8" and me not shoveling very fast you can't tell where the driveway is and it is April 1st! I guess this is Mother Nature's April Fools joke. Then Walkers had theirs plowed and kinda blocked our driveway-oh for the city life;) I can't wait to hear the Snow Thunder jingle with a MN twist.

mamasteph said...

You definitely need to post your jingles! I want to hear! I'm sorry you guys are still dealing with thunder snow (love the terminology!) and everything else! I guess you need to come visit us--our weather is much warmer! Love ya sis!

Biggie T said...

I heard the local weather person say this has been the worst spring since 2002, so this is the worst yet for us. I'm tired of lousy weather!