7.15.2006

Thank you Global Warming


When my husband and I made the move from the hot arid desert of the west to the Great White North we didn't think that heat would be a problem we would have to worry about anymore. Cold, yes, but heat? It couldn't possibly be a concern. Could it?

Turns out it can get hot in Minnesota. Not just uncomfortable, glad I wore shorts hot, but the kind of oppressive heat that makes you seriously consider why people ever go outside anymore.

From the wonderful air-conditioned car (best purchase I ever made) to the air-conditioned cafe I am now sitting in I got sunburned. It was a 25 foot walk. We decided to seek shelter because our apartment doesn't have any air-conditioning. I know. I know.

One of my coworkers was venting yesterday about the insane 100 degree heat (without factoring in the heat index or humidity) and said, "I mean, I can't imagine anyone getting through this alive without AC."

I meekly raised my hand and said,
"Actually..."

So we left ice cubes in Harper's water dish and all the fans on high and we fled the hot box we call home for a couple of hours to lavish in a place where we are not melting into the floor. And, I must say, we probably won't be leaving anytime soon.

No comments: