3.24.2009

Cenote Swimming

While it's still fresh in my mind, I've decided to jot down some of the memories from our trip to the Yucatan penninsula. Plus, though down a few pounds, I'm feeling quite a bit better and more able to come up with a cohesive thought. First I'd like to share a little something I've learned through the whole ordeal:

Pepto Bismol can be used as a preventative measure when traveling - just take a dose 4 times a day and your likelihood of coming home healthy are much, much higher. You're welcome.

So one of the coolest things about the Cancun area are the thousands of cenotes scattered about. A cenote is basically a sinkhole, usually with crystal clear water and some other amazing feature. While in Mexico, we visited two: El Gran Cenote near Tulum and the Ik Kil Cenote by Chichen Itza. At the first cenote, we got to sport our snorkel gear and marvel at all the amazing fish and coral and plants and caves up close. At the second, our timing was perfect. Eric and I had the whole cenote to ourselves for a whole 15 minutes (which is a lot at such a popular destination). Cenotes are one of the most amazing natural wonders I've ever seen. Though it can't quite capture the wonder of the 'happy accident', I've posted some pictures below.

The Grand Cenote:



The cenote at Ik Kil:

4 comments:

mamasteph said...

Gorgeous!!!! I am so jealous! :) Loving the tiger towel by the way! It looks like you guys had a blast despite the yuckiness that followed! Glad you are feeling better! And thanks for the advice!

Anonymous said...

Hey! We've been to the second cenote by Chichen Itza! It's beautiful, but I wish we had gone the Grand Cenote. We were so scared to go in the water b/c you can see nothing, but we did it anyway. Beautiful pictures!

M {3 said...

It is so beautiful! I am glad you weren't sick the whole time you were there. Glad you are on the mend. I think a mandatory warm location trip should happen to all Minnesotans in Winter! I definitely will stock up on Pepto if I head down there.<3

Biggie T said...

These caves look amazing - I can't believe how blue the water is.